Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The spririt's willing, but the flesh is weak.

Yesterday, after I scrubbed the shower out and washed the shower liner, I hung the clean liner up with a shower curtain we've had for years. I was hoping that by having a shower curtain on the outside of the shower, that the liner would stay inside the 4" shower pan. In theory, I think it would work, but we've had this !00% cotton shower curtain for so long, that it's shrunk probably at least 7". It came nowhere close to the length of the liner, so we'll have to pick up something for that bathroom.

Unfortunately, between hanging the shower liner and curtain up again and doing several loads of laundry, I can hardly move today. My neck and shoulders are screaming. I had to take a muscle relaxant earlier to try to get them to calm down. I'll be taking another one soon, since the ibuprofen did nothing to dull the throbbing. I'm hoping that I'll be in tip top shape tomorrow or at least well enough I can do something.

I try hard not to complain about being in constant pain, but sometimes I find it very difficult. I work through it most days, but when it's like today, I simply can't. It can be quite frustrating. Especially because I really want to make progress with the dehoarding more quickly than I am currently. Also, I know that complaining just sounds like I'm making excuses for not getting things done. I am trying really hard not to use it as an excuse but rather as an explanation.

Besides. I really, really, really want to get the house totally dehoarded, so we can get some sort of a hot tub or an infrared sauna. Something to help relax these silly muscles!

In your mind, is there a difference between an explanation and an excuse in a situation like this? If so, what do you see as the difference?




7 comments:

  1. I would say it's an explanation... But I can't explain my reasoning because my finger got sliced open and I'm dyiiiiiiiiiing while typing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excuse is made to show why you will probably never get done.

    An explanation is made to show why you're progressing a little slower than you'd planned.

    I don't see that you're making excuses.

    I see that you're kicking butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thing you arte explaining your limitations , but willing ness . And excuse would lead to a statement of how or why it would not ever get done or whyt someone else would have to do it .
    Now the lecture ...
    You have FM, fatigue and stress are 2 of the biggest issues contributing to increased pain . TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF , you will enjoy your dehoarded house much more from a comfortable shair or on your feetlater, than you will being bedridden sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm good question, I think as long as you don't come up for an excuse for EVERYTHING, like I just can't do laundry today because I might stub my toe... But I agree you have to take care of yourself or NOTHING will get done....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ami summed it up pretty well, I think. An excuse is why you're not putting any effort into anything, an explanation is why it might not be the way you'd like.
    You are certainly getting alot accomplished and should pat yourself on the back!
    Or, maybe have your husband give you a back rub--that's even better! ( :

    Thanks for the wonderfully kind words on my page. They helped more than you'll ever know! <3 Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. An explanation is probably a more constructive way of moving forwardn whereas an excuse is merely a means of justifying staying right where you are. But you dont seem like the whiney type ... can hubby give you a massage for those sore muscles?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate y'all's input on this. It makes me feel better knowing that I am only explaining and not making excuses.

    I know one thing for sure. I refuse to stay where I was. I'm no longer there, so it's already in the past tense! :D

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)