Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Friday, April 23, 2010

73

That's how old I feel today.

I worked in the girls' room today. It's the one Mom had helped me with the other day. I spent 5 hours working in there, and I got rid of a lot of stuff, but I'm still not done. My back is spasming, so I'm relaxing with my good friend, Mr. Heating Pad, as I write this. It will probably take me a couple more days in there, but I made a really good dent in things.

I finished filling the extra large outdoor trash bag that Mom and I had filled half full with trash the other day. I then proceeded to fill another huge trash bag over half full, and I found a smaller black garbage bag full of paper garbage where I'd last sorted in there. So it went out to the trash, too. I had to toss the Little Tykes grocery cart that we'd gotten our oldest over 20 years ago. It was broken. And while it made me sad to throw it, I felt released of any guilt over disposing of it, because it was broken.

I also finished filling the 2'x2' box of stuff to give away and started filling another, smaller box with donations. It's full. I need more boxes. But that's a good thing. I also removed a full pillowcase full of laundry from their bedroom and started filling another.

Overall, I'm pleased with what I've accomplished today. I'd love to finish it up this weekend, but I won't be disappointed, if I can't get back there until later next week. The best news is that neither of the girls were stressed today about me working in the bedroom. Last week, our middle daughter started getting stressed when Mom and I were working on it, so we stopped. Just glad it doesn't seem to be bothering her now!

Oh! And the newlyweds closed on their house today. The sellers covered the graffiti in the house, but it's obvious, so they'll still have to paint. They also fixed the locks on the windows that were broken. Don't think they fixed the doggy door, but the kids should be able to handle that on their own.

All in all a good day.

5 comments:

  1. You are doing a fantastic job of going through everything - keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! The newlyweds must be so excited about moving into their house but it's a shame they have all the problems to fix first. Do they have a time limit to get out of their present place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making headway!!!

    When you finish there, come on over. I promise not to get stressed as you empty out OUR rooms :)

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good work!

    Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray, all sounds like a success!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)