Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Monday, April 19, 2010

I don't want to go to sleep.

If I do, it means that when I wake up, I'll only have a few short, precious hours left with Mom before taking her to the airport. I don't want to have to say goodbye.

Mom's coming down with a cold and isn't feeling the best today. Has a sore throat, and her ear hurts, too. It's nothing major, but I know she's not real comfortable. I know it's not going to be the most pleasant flying tomorrow with an earache, and I'll be glad when she calls from the airports to let me know she's doing okay, and that she's made it home safely.

Didn't get much done today. I guess we got a little done today, but it wasn't much. But that's not why I wanted Mom to come down (although that's one of the reasons she wanted to come down - to help me get something done). So it was nice just hanging out for the most part today.

Our middle daughter took a four hour nap today. She was either tired, because she didn't want to think of Gramma going home, or because she's getting sick. It could even be a combination of the two. I'll take her temp tomorrow to rule out being sick. Regardless, I'm sure we're all going to be beat tomorrow when we get home from the airport.

Got an email from the insurance adjuster this afternoon. He said our flash drive froze his computer and wrote it in all caps. Said he needed the information in a specific format (which is exactly how we did it and how we put it on the thumb drive in the first place!), and that he really needs the files. :::sigh:::

Our daughter and her new husband were coming over tonight to spend a little more time with Gramma, so I was able to pick their brains about how to get the info to the insurance adjuster. Our son-in-law graciously offered to put in the DVD writer drive we've had for almost a year. So I was able to put all the information needed on a DVD for the insurance adjuster. Hopefully, he can get this to work without crashing his system. If not, I have no idea what else to do.

Sounds like it might be awhile before we get our insurance check after all. Oh well. It will be here when we need it to be.

I'm finally feeling sleepy, so I'm off to bed.

I'm hoping tomorrow morning goes slowly, so I can savor every moment with Mom.

4 comments:

  1. I am fortunate that my parents moved here to Florida to be closer to me. My kids know their grandparents very well and that is important to me. They are 81 so I treat every visit as though it may be the last. Not with tears but with joy. Sure they drive me nuts sometimes, but I will miss them very much when they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo glad you've had a good visit with your mom. I know how much you love her.

    Hope all of you get caught up on your rest and that no one is getting sick.

    ((Hug))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope your Mama feels better and has a good flight. Earaches and airplanes don't go well together. I'm thrilled you have such a wonderful visit with your Mama. I sure wish mine was able to fly.

    I hope no one else in the house gets sick.

    God bless and have yourself a Terrific Tuesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny that when our kids take an unusually long nap, we immediately think they are sick?! I hope your daughter isn't too sick.

    Safe travels to your mom!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)