Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I did it!

I finally cleaned the counter completely off and bleached it well...just in case. It looks so empty. So foreign. Still, after 18 months of only seeing part of the counter, it's nice to see the entire thing. I put my fine china in a box, and hubby took it downstairs to a room we don't use much right now to protect it.

Eventually, I'll put it completely away, but I'm not sure when that will happen. We're giving the kids our china hutch after they move into their new house in a couple weeks. No sense in putting it away to turn around and have to take it back out in such a short while. I'll be boxing the contents of the china hutch up soon anyway, so this just saved me a step.

Tired tonight. Still trying to get things done for the wedding. Still not saying what I'm doing in case our oldest decides to read about it beforehand. ;O)

Got a call at 9 tonight from someone wanting to know, if we have anything that we'd like to donate. They'll have a truck in our area next week. I find it so irritating. I don't think I'd mind as much, if they were at least local, but these people are calling from almost 100 miles away. I can't help but think that it's a scam. There are about 6 different 'charities' that call from the same place but with different names. I've asked repeatedly for them to take me off the call list, but they won't. I don't think they have to, because they're a charity.

In my befuddlement over the phone call, I accidentally posted this post empty. Ok. So maybe it wasn't just over the phone call. :)

Off to get busy on my project. Hoping I can keep my countertop cleared for at least 18 months straight! :)




6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on seeing a CLEAR counter!!! I know how exciting that is. A clear surface anywhere, for that matter....

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Good for you! You are doing great! Can't wait to hear what your secret project is! I am sure your daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoot whoot~ atta way to go !I saw this post last night with just the title and wondered a little . Glad you got it done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous..... My counter tops are CLUTTERED! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow your blog is interesting and cute blog good luck with your clean up job sounds like you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is way after the fact, but I wanted to give you some info about the phone call. A lot of charities outsource their fundraising because volunteers would rather work directly with the charities rather than man the phones. Also, people who are trained and paid are more effective. I used to work for a company that made calls for 5 different charities. It was based in Arkansas but I made calls for Special Olympics Indiana and Northern California. So it may not necessarily be a scam but it's good to be skeptical.
    Also, they do have to take you off their list even if they're calling from a charity.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)