Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

An Introduction by Judy Packrat

For years I've known I've had a problem, but I've never wanted to admit it consciously to anyone - even myself. That all changed this week, when I watched my first episode ever of Hoarders. I couldn't help but watch all of the episodes that were On Demand over the course of a few days. The shows spotlight the worst of the worst hoarders - those who will lose their homes or children or often face bankruptcy, if they don't get their homes in order. According to the show, over 3 million people suffer from obsessive hoarding.

I believe I'm one such person.

While I don't believe my house is nearly as bad as those spotlighted by the show, I fear that I could easily slip to those depths. However, saying that is like a person justifying being overweight by having the mentality of "at least I'm not as fat as
that person". I am that person, and this is my journey through the darkness.

My goal is to rid my home of the unhealthy clutter I've accumulated. For whether or not it's affecting my physical health (although I believe it likely is - the stress alone can't be good for my health!), it certainly is affecting my mental health. In the days, weeks and months that follow I will detail my progress here, so I have a record of where I've been that I may never go that way again!

I feel if I have the accountability of those of you who may read this, as well as the support of my loved ones, I can and will get through this. It's going to be a long road. It will start one item at a time.



8 comments:

  1. Judy I never read this post before but I am glad I did now! Its very interesting and helps me to like you even more! well done on recognising 'your condition' and dealing with it - I reckon every one of us can take a page from your book and learn from it! Especially me, a 'closet' hoarder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a collecting disorder but I;m working on it.... It used to be called being a Clothes Horse lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to start here and work my way thru your blog, I'm a hoarder,so is my hubby and my daughter is worse than both of us. trying to be ruthless this year and just...declutter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I came across your blog from off another! LOL... anyways I too am a hoarder, amongst many things. It is more of a family problem as they are also hoarders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for having the courage to blog about this. There's so much stigma associated with compulsive hoarding which can make finding help difficult. Though the show like "Hoarding, Buried Alive" bring awareness to the disorder; they also make some hoarders look like freaks. Thanks for helping us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the shows often make some hoarders look really bad, and it's a struggle I have with the shows. At the same time I'm not sure, if I'd ever have come to the realization that I have a hoarding problem without the shows. It's a definite double edged sword.

      Thank you for thinking I'm courageous. More often than not, I've felt cowardly about it all, but the more I'm able to talk about it, write about it and process it, the less I feel that way. And while I started this blog to help me to deal with it all, I am very thankful that others have found help in my experience.

      I hope to see you around! :)

      Delete
  6. I just began my blog today. Thank you for your post here. I hope you are still active. I could use the go-to place. I don't even know how to follow this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)