Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Elm trees and apologies.

I try to only turn my computer on in the evenings, or I can easily get stuck on it all day long, and then I don't get anything done. But I do have my phone set to receive emails, so I am able to read the comments from my blog on my phone shortly after they're posted. So I have the chance to read each and every comment, and I do. However, by the time I get the computer turned on at night to sit and write my post, I either forget about responding to the comments, or I'm so tired I can't seem to stay awake long enough to make any sense in my reply

So I wanted to apologize for being so lax with this. I'll try and do better. I do want you to know that I appreciate the support you all have shown me by reading my blog and leaving the comments. They spur me on to continue in the direction I'm going and to fight the good fight. They help me more than you could possibly know, and I'm very grateful for your kind words and support. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Now...back to your regularly scheduled program...

Frank came over today and helped out. He cut down some elm trees. Some were probably 15' tall, but I don't think any were more than a couple inches in diameter. Have I mentioned before that I really can't stand the things? If I haven't before, let me now. I can't stand elm trees! Ok. So they're beautiful, if they haven't been struck with Dutch Elm Disease. No doubt about it. They provide plenty of shade, homes for birds and squirrels, and they look good.

However, they shoot up all over the place. By the time you see a sapling of only 10" or so, the roots are as much as 2' deep, so they're almost impossible to pull out. And in the older neighborhood in which we live, elm trees were planted as hedges around the edges of yards, so we're constantly getting new seedlings in the front and back yards as well as in the gutters of the house. Thankfully, they always die out quickly in the gutters, but it's still a pain that they're there in the first place.

We've had all of the elms cut down in our yard a couple of different times over the years we've lived here. However, thanks to all the neighbors' elms, we're never in short supply of new elm saplings. And those saplings grow quickly! We've had some that have grown 6' to 10' a year. Which is great, if you live in a rural area where you're in need of trees for a windbreak or for shade. To have hundreds of these elms growing in one yard in a suburban area? Not so good.

Hubster finally found something to put on them that will kill them, and he's used it with some success this year. Every tree he cut down and painted with the stuff has died, except one. You'd never know it though, because there have been several new trees that have already grown to replace them. It's a never-ending frustration for us. We're hoping that we can get them under control soon, though. Maybe, if we can paint all of the trees with the "elmicide" any new ones will be scared by the death they see all around and will decide to try and grow in someone else's yard.

Anyway, Frank cut almost all of the trees that were at our other neighbor's fence line down. I can now use all 4 lines on my clothesline, instead of only being able to use the first one. It will be a huge help, as I have tons of laundry to get done as soon as possible. I am ever so grateful for Frank's help today.

Right now, though, I'm so sleepy that I know I'm starting ramble. So I'll post tomorrow about the tubs I went through today.

Let's just say I'm pleased.

And goodnight. :)

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya sista! We have a huge old elm tree in our front yard. It's massive and provides wonderful shade and homes for the birds. This year those little elmletts grew up in my wildflowers across the road from my house, a beautiful sight I've spent years developing. The the shingles hit and I couldn't keep the saplings cleared. I then tried cutting them and placing a drop of tordon on them but it's killed all wild flowers in the path of the roots. {{{SIGH}}}

    I guess me best plan is to kill it all down and start over again...double sigh!

    Now I'm beginnin' to like elms...not so much.

    God bless and have a fantastic weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. N worries , I don't always respond to comments either, but I do read and appreciate each and every one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mwahahahaha! I figured out how to do this! Also, I hate elm trees. Almost as much as junipers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I can't read many blogs these days let alone leave comments.

    I have missed you and your posts.

    The elm trees in my front yard are so messy. Our cars always look dirty because we park under them. Ugh.

    Hope you are happy and well.



    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)