Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's all a matter of timing.

I'm very happy with how things went today.

The weather eventually cooperated enough I could paint this afternoon. It was very windy this morning, so I had to wait until mid afternoon to even attempt things, but it was worth the wait.

Earlier, I'd mentioned that I wanted to see if painting 2 coats of primer would cut down on the number of coats of paints I would need to use. I am so glad I decided to go with 2 coats of primer! The primer I'm using, Kilz Odorless, which isn't really odorless, dries within about 10 minutes or so in spite of the fact that it's oil based. So I can slather on a couple quick coats of the primer much easier than I can paint with the regular oil based paint I'm using.

The regular oil based paint I'm using takes about 24 hours to dry before I can put on another coat of paint. With the weather changing like it is, I have to wait a bit before I can even begin painting each day. Then, because the sun goes down so much earlier than it did even a couple of weeks ago, I'm very limited with the time I actually have to paint. In other words, time is of the essence when it comes to painting the furniture. I'm quickly running out of days that I can paint furniture outside before the weather starts seriously limiting me.

With the cooperation of the weather today, I was able to get the first coat of paint on most of the furniture pieces out on the back porch today. From what I can tell, I will only need to put one more coat of paint on the pieces, because the second coat of primer is helping the paint cover so much better. I'm thrilled. This means that I'll be able to finish all the furniture that needs painted with the oil based paint in the next 10 days or so.

That means I should be finished up completely with it by next weekend. The furniture has taken so long, because of all the little nooks and crannies that need special detail. It's amazing how many nooks and crannies shelves add to a piece of furniture! Once I'm finished with the furniture, I should be able to finish up on the doors. They won't take as long, since they're being painted with a latex based paint and dry rather quickly. It's supposed to be in the 70s for the foreseeable future, so I should have a few good painting days ahead of me. That being said, I think I'll be able to get it all done without too much trouble.

It's going to be so nice to be able to move projects from my workspace after they're dry to the touch.

The sooner I can get them moved, the sooner I can put another project up and get started on it.

The sooner I get started on the last projects, the sooner I can pack up my paint brushes and empty off the porch.

It's all a matter of timing.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good.I hope you will show us pictures of the finished work

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used Kilz not-so-odorless last year on a project. Came out beutiful, but it definitely needed to be done with plenty of ventilation -J

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)