Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dumpster Diving Diva.

My neck and shoulders thankfully felt so much better this morning. I had a lower back ache all day, though, so I took it easy. I got some laundry done and did the dishes, but nothing of substance with dehoarding..

I painted a little particle board drawer set that I've had for years. It was totally unfinished. Looked horrible. So I painted 2 coats on it today. It has 3 drawers. I'll be using it for storing my spools of ribbon. I'm hoping to be able to fit all my ribbon, curling ribbon, and maybe even some lace in it. It will be nice to have it all in one place. It will also help with sorting when we empty out the pod, because we will know where to put at least one thing as we sort through the boxes.

In other news related to what I did today....

Several years ago, I did a dumpster dive. Well. Sort of. But not really....

Someone who lives a few blocks from us had what looked to be 2 pair of shutters in the trash. You know those louvered swinging doors that are always shown in old Westerns that are typically in a saloon? That's what they were. And there were 2 pair. I wanted to use them for Scooter's window, so we asked, if we could have them, or if they'd rather we not take them. They weren't actually in a can-just beside it, so it wasn't a technical dumpster dive.

We brought them home, and I got them scrubbed up thoroughly. Then I bought a couple of piano hinges and attached 2 doors to one another. Piano hinges come in various sizes, but they're what are used on pianos on the covering for the keys. Then we installed them on her window, and they fit perfectly. They don't do much as far as insulating, so we've hung a dark green fitted sheet over them to keep out the light, so the girls could sleep better. It helps a bit with keeping the room more comfortable, too.

However, it's really frustrating that we can't open the shutters without removing the sheet, and it's a pain in the behind to get hung just right. Plus it look horrible. So I made curtains for each shutter today, since there wasn't much I could do physically around the house. It's going to take a bit to make sure I have the 2 curtain rods (1 for the top and 1 for the bottom of each curtain) hung on each shutter evenly tomorrow, so I decided to wait to hang them. However, as soon as the girls are off to school...

I'm off to bed early again tonight. I hate trying to get back into a schedule when school starts!

2 comments:

  1. The shutters sound nice , and with the curtains I am sure they will look great. Sounds like a pretty productive day to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness Judy you are so creative! I wish I could come up with ideas like that for my kids' bedrooms! Well done on carrying out a brilliant idea to fruition (an idea which, by the way, I will once again plagiarize - something which I appear to be developing as a habit on your blog lately!).

    Look after that back of yours - I am hobbling around at the moment cos I pulled my own back by camping on bad mattresses in the garden with the kids - I am too old for this kind of lark!

    Keep up the good work Judy - you are doing a great job with your dehoarding!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)