Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Turning the tables.

I'm trying really hard not to freak out over my ever growing list of things to do. I know I've made huge progress in the last several months, but sometimes it's not enough just to know that. I'm so afraid that I won't get it all done, or I won't get it done in time for Bugster and Bubster's shindig next year, and it's an absolute must that I do get everything done.

I had plans to make a master list a few weeks ago, but I never got around to it. I think I'll sit down tonight or tomorrow and try to make it. It's easier to see what you have to prioritize, if it's all written down, I think. Plus it's nice to be able to see things crossed off as they're finished. It's just that there are certain things that have to be done as quickly as possible.

Fall is quickly approaching, and I'm afraid of what Fall, Winter and Spring mean for me health-wise. I'm just so in hopes things will be different this year. I guess we'll find out as early as next week when the kids start back to school. They always bring colds and bugs home that knock us all on our behinds for a week or more. Maybe it won't happen this year. Maybe the tables will be turned in our favor.

Speaking of tables...

I got started painting the table tops today. They will sit on top of the bases that I posted yesterday. I was also able to get the last coat of paint on the ones the boys did yesterday and clean the rust off the other one and get all the coats of paint it needed applied. I think they'll look so nice when they're all done.

They used to have powder blue sections. I'm painting them sage green to match the walls in the basement. I'm hoping the weather is more conducive to drying paint tomorrow. After having hot weather for several weeks followed by massive thunderstorms in the evenings, today was mild, on the verge of cool, even, and very breezy. I am just hoping for warmer weather tomorrow, so I can apply the second coat of sage green paint.

I haven't decided, if I'm going to leave the look of wood grain, or if I'm going to paint those sections a bright white. My decisions is made a little more difficult, because only 2 of the tables have this pattern on top. The other one is a solid wood grain. I'm probably just going to leave them like this (minus the painters' tape) and repaint them next summer, if I want a change.

All I know for now is that I like the sage green much better than the powder blue. :)

6 comments:

  1. It's easy to get discouraged!! You have definately been doing great though, and what a fun project you're working on. Can't wait to see the tables painted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be unfunctionable without lists, and I'm glad to see you're the same way. ;-]

    Making the Master List is a fantastic idea - that'll really help you.

    I usually only get a couple of colds a year, but I have heard that vitamin C really helps cut down the length and/or (?) severity of them. Maybe getting everyone to take a supplement might help?

    And I LOVE your segway into the tables - that totally impressed me!

    Is the shindig at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should paint the wood grain, too.
    If I had my way, everything in my house that's wood would get painted.

    Ah but alas, how many of us ever get our way?

    Am I the only one singing, "She's makin' a list, checkin' it twice"???

    ReplyDelete
  4. the tables will look nice with the wood grain I think. As to the rest ...Breathe, you are doing well, and will continue to do so ,momentary panic is normal ,just trust the good work you have done and what is still to come will be fine. And remember it takes the time it takes , no rushing

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are doing great still! I loved the table legs and the tops will look wonderful! I like a wood grain but whatever works for you! As long as it is easy to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can doooo itttt!!! Also, you shouldn't worry about the shindig, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. You know what I mean. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)