Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It's not like we actually got rich.

There is nothing like a nice hot shower after 2 days of working outside in dust and grime. Nothing quite like it. And the water was just so much hotter than I remember it being just yesterday. Ahhh. So refreshing!

We still have some work that needs to be done, because things weren't up to code. So between the repairs and the cost of the permit, we had to add an additional $300 onto the cost. It didn't help that installation was almost $300. I really hate that we couldn't have done it ourselves and saved a few hundred bucks, but we weren't comfortable working with the natural gas. At least we have hot water again. I'm not complaining!

Another thing I'm not complaining about? There were a few boxes of paperwork that had been out on the porch. I had to sort through them quickly to blow the dust out of them with the air hose and put them in a plastic tote to keep the bugs out, but I found something interesting when I was going through them. I found the receipt to the shower surround that we had to sell on Craigslist, because we couldn't find the receipt.

It wasn't just a store receipt, because the surround we'd gotten had been on clearance. They had to look up the number for us to get the price, because it was no longer in the system way back when we bought it even. So I was thrilled yesterday when I saw the receipt said we paid $105 and change for it. We sold it for $110. It was really nice to not have lost any money on it even though we'd had it for 8 years.

I still have the cash from it, too. I really should put it in the bank, so nothing happens to it. It's just nice to know we have the Found Money Fund in cash. You know. Just in case. You never know when something is going to come up. I'm trying really hard to save up for a piece of antique furniture, so we have something to show for our efforts when all is said and done. Time will tell how big our fund gets and what we'll end up buying. It's fun to know the money is there and waiting for us.

Know what else is waiting for me?

My bed.

5 comments:

  1. I hate when major appliance quits! In our old house we replaced the stove, dishwasher, water heater, air conditioning unit and roof. Oh and we needed another pool pump as well. Then we sold the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep well. Good news about the shower surround

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love when you can sell stuff for a bit of a profit on ebay or craigslist! Nice job! hit the showers (Oh wait you already did that) and get some rest! -J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only begin to imagine, Portia. We replaced the stove, refrigerator and now the water heater all within the last 6 months or so. I'm just hoping we get a bit of a reprieve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, you amended your original post from the comments. I believe you sold it for $115 :)

    I started reading two days ago. I'm excited to catch up to the present you

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)