Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Around and around we go. Where we stop, nobody knows.

Not sure how much I'll be getting done over the next couple of days. I tweaked my right knee. It hurts toward the top of my knee cap when I touch it, and it aches all the time. So I will be avoiding the stairs at all cost over the next couple of days, and I'll be doing my best to ice the knee and keep it elevated as much as possible. I am really hoping it just stops hurting on it's own, if I rest and ice it frequently.

Our youngest is still not feeling that hot, but she's taking it well. We've always marveled at what good senses of humor the girls have. They love to laugh and play jokes and tease. Earlier this evening was no exception. Our youngest daughter was doing a nebulizer treatment before she went to bed. The part of a nebulizer that holds the medicine can vary from machine to machine. Some just have a mouthpiece, and others have a mouthpiece attached to a T-shaped tube with a long accordion-looking tube attached to the other side of the T. (Look at the top picture here, if you don't know what I'm talking about). That's the style the youngin was using for her treatment earlier.

She likes to chew on the somewhat soft plastic of the accordion tube when she does her treatments, but we do try to get her to turn it around and use the mouthpiece. So when I noticed toward the beginning of the treatment that she was goofing around and chewing on the tube, I told her to turn it around. She did, and she put the mouthpiece in her mouth and breathed the medicine in.

A few minutes into the treatment, I went into the other room, and when I came back, the nebulizer was backwards, and she was waiting for my reaction. We find it funny that she can communicate so much with her eyes, in spite of being nonverbal. Tonight was no exception. I asked her to turn the nebulizer around. So, with a twinkle in her eye and a slight smirk on her face, she did. And then she did again. And again. I couldn't help but laugh.

She finished her breathing treatment, but she did it her own way. With the wrong end in her mouth, a twinkle in her eye, and a smirk on her face. That's okay. It wasn't an important battle to win. The medicine was getting to her lungs anyway. It's just that a tube that's been bitten isn't quite as effective at getting the medicine to her as one that doesn't look like a bent straw. They still work. They just take a little more effort. And if I feel she's not getting enough medicine, I'll pull out the nebulizer that only has the mouthpiece for her to use tomorrow.

Tonight, I'm just going to savor the fact that she can tease.

And I'll laugh at her jokes. :)

5 comments:

  1. Awww... that's awesome!

    I hope your knee gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay. Off. The. Knee.

    Trust me on this one, it'll feel better if you do.

    Sounds like your daughters are both a lot like you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. rest and recuperate ,hope both you and your wonderful girls are feeling well soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i love that story so much. Thanks for sharing it!!!

    Did you always feel like your daughters understood what's going on. I hate to admit it but it's hard for me to know how much Ashley understands. Sorry I had to ask this question.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)