Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pass the oxygen please.

13 x 14 x 16. That's the size of the box that has NO more room in it that holds paperwork that has been tossed into the filing cabinet and not filed. When I pulled the drawer out to take a picture, I almost tipped this very heavy filing cabinet over, because it was so full. My task for today is to sort and file all the papers in the box. Maybe tomorrow, too. We'll see how much I can get done tonight. I've already been working on it several hours, and I haven't made as big a dent in it as I'd like.

So..my fingertips are splitting from working with the paper, my nose is stuffy, and my eyes are overly dry and puffy. Yep. I'm thinking there's still dog dander in this here room! You know, I'm really anxious and excited to get this all done, because when I am, we can clean the air ducts out, and I won't be having problems with my allergies/asthma then. I really do look forward to that!

I'm frustrated at not being able to get a definitive answer on how long to save my taxes though. I'd looked it up and most places said 4 to 7 years. When I started to tear some of the taxes up from the year we bought the house, I thought I'd triple check. That's when I saw something else that said tax records should be kept indefinitely. :::sigh::: I dug the pieces out of the bag of shreadables and put them back in the file. I won't tape them back together until I know, if I really do need to keep them, but I also won't put them in the bag of shreadables, either.

I figure I've got a couple of hours to work on this before I go to bed, so I suppose I should get going on it. I won't really see the progress on this once I'm done, because the drawers will be closed, but I'll see it in my mind. :) I have to get this organized in order to finish the rest of the paperwork in the house. It will give me some breathing room.

I'm ready to breathe easier - both literally and figuratively!


3 comments:

  1. I was always told 7 years.That said if you want to be absolutley sure can you call the tax department? I have done that here a few times and found them actually ver helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness what daunting tasks you have before you, it will all be worth it in the end! Thank you for your kind words today, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this comment is several months behind, but I just found your blog. I am an accountant, and I work for a CPA. We always advise people to save their tax returns for 7 years. If you feel you must save them for longer than that, it's a good idea to scan them and save them all to one memory card or CD/DVD. =)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)