Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

TJ has great advice!

I'm feeling accomplished today, but I'm dragging a bit. We've been sick again with some little piddly thing that seems to zap our energy, so I haven't been able to do as much as I've wanted the last few days, but no day has gone by totally unproductive.


Today, I got the cabinet I've been working on for an entertainment center almost finished. I lined the inside with some striped contact paper. I didn't want the inside to be dark. Spiders hide where it's dark, and I don't really care for spiders much. I especially don't care for them in my house.


The cabinet will house the kids videos. It will be nice to have a place to put the videos, so they can be immediately put in their proper place. I'll sort through them when I'm filling the cabinet, so we're not keeping anything we don't need. One thing at a time, right?


It will be nice to have the sawhorses cleared, so we can put another cupboard on them, and I can get it painted. It will be the other half of the entertainment area and will hold the television and games. I just need to get it painted. I'm hoping I can get it done before next week.


Even though they weren't physically cluttering things up, my email accounts were hanging over me and cluttering up my mind. I deleted 3 accounts today that I never use, and I cleaned the old emails out of a couple more. Thousands of emails. Some from several years ago. It was very freeing, and it didn't hurt my back which is always a plus!


I am trying to remember that all of these things are helping me reach my goal of getting the house cleaned out. That there will be some days that I don't see much physical progress. I have to remind myself that there will also be days that I'll be impressed at the physical progress I've made. I am happy with anything that moves me onward.


Mr. Jefferson had the right idea.


"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."


~Thomas Jefferson


Good ol' Mr. Jefferson was a wise, wise man!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't he the guy who said don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)