Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Like something out of a fairy tale.

I sat down to write my blog last night and promptly fell asleep on my heating pad. It was the first I'd felt warm all day. I finally woke up at 4:00 a.m., freezing and with a crick in my neck. I couldn't seem to remember, if I'd written a post or not, but I knew I wasn't going to try at that hour of the morning. I shut my computer down and  woke up enough to crawl into bed. I slept like a log. Hopefully, I won't have too many more of those days. I don't like it when I miss out on posting. 


It's not like yesterday was unproductive, though. I didn't get a tremendous amount accomplished, but I did finally make a decision that I'd been putting off for some time. 


About ten years ago, when Bugster and I were coming home from across town, I noticed a dresser at the side of the road a couple blocks from our house. It had a 'FREE' sign on it, so we loaded it up and brought it home. I thought it would be perfect to paint up and use down in the laundry room for storage of some of my cookware. My kitchen is so small that anything would help!


So we brought it home, I painted it up, so it looked cute, and I tried to use it for the extra baking dishes, etc. Except that in the ten years we've owned it, it never really worked for what I needed. Most of the baking dishes were either too large to fit in the drawers, or they were so heavy I was afraid they were going to take someone off guard when they pulled the drawers out, and they'd crash to the cement floor and shatter. So for most of the last ten years, the dresser sat in the laundry room with empty drawers looking cute as can be. 


I can't tell you the number of times I thought about getting rid of it. But every time I thought about it, I'd think of the work I'd put into it, and how I should surely be able to find a way to make it work, and I'd change my mind. I mean, I should be able to use it for one of the girls in their rooms, right? Except that they can't seem to do dressers. The drawers are shallow enough that they'd never be able to keep their clothes in them. They clothes would get bunched up and get stuck when they would try to shut the drawers, or the clothes would get holes or splinters in them from becoming wedged when the the girls shoved the drawers shut. 


I went through the same arguments in my mind over and over and over. For whatever reason, I could never seem to make up my mind to get rid of the dresser. I just knew I would be able to find a use for it, and we'd live happily ever after, my little project and I. 


Still. I kept my eyes open for anything that might work to replace it. I really needed some sort of cabinet or shelving unit instead. Something that I could store things in just like I'd be able to in a kitchen cabinet, if I actually had kitchen cabinets. A few weeks ago, I saw something on the local Craigslist that might work, but then I forgot about it. When I happened across the ad again yesterday, I realized I'd exhausted every possibility for the dresser, and I was completely ready to let the dresser go and move on with my life. 


I took a couple of pictures of the dresser and posted an ad on Craigslist. I wasn't sure what price to list it but decided to be hopeful and aim high. I listed it for $50 or best offer. Within moments, I got emails from 2 different people who were interested in looking at it. I was thrilled, because no matter what I got for it, it would be more than what I paid for it.


This morning when I woke up, I started on the task of bringing it upstairs. I was able to maneuver it up the stairs on my own after having taken the drawers out. I took it outside and put it back together, so it was ready for whichever person showed up to take a look. I probably should have waited for Hubster to wake up to help me, because it turned out to be a bit much for my back, but I just wanted him to be able to sleep in a bit. I'll know better next time.


The first gal who had responded to my Craigslist ad wanted the dresser for her little girl. She offered me $30. We agreed on $40 and helped her get it loaded in her truck, and she was on her way. 


I found a couple of credenzas to take the place of the dresser. They're 6ft long and stacked, they'll be right at 5ft high. They each have 4 doors with the 2 center doors opening to a larger area than the doors on either end. Each compartment has an adjustable shelf, and they are going to be absolutely perfect!


One of the best things? The credenzas cost $30 each. Considering we got $40 for the dresser, and it didn't cost us anything, the credenzas are really only costing $20 total. I am absolutely thrilled we found the perfect solution for such an affordable price! 


And we'll live happily ever after. :)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome!
    Love the LOOK of the useless bureau though. (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done! too bad the dresser didn't work, you did a lovely job of it . But hey $40.00 for the dresser!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when it all works out.

    I am also looking for more storage in the kitchen. I have looked at a TON of options and then today started thinking that I really don't need to buy anything. Just move the odds and ends in the bottom cabinets into the basement, and VOILA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Storage in my kitchen is the bane of my existence. You did a great job on the dresser, I would have given you $50!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)