Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Nap time.

The other day, I worked on something that's been hanging over my head for several months. When she came down for Bugster and Bubster's wedding this summer, my sister got some skirts and sundresses for Scooter. Scooter loves skirts of all lengths, but she especially loves broomstick skirts and the like, so we were thrilled when my sister found these for her at a garage sale when she was visiting.


The only problem was that neither sundress fit right, and the skirts were a little too big around for her. So a couple of nights ago, I used the seam ripper and took the bodices off the 2 sundresses. My eyes were killing me by the time I was done, because I am at the age when I'm seriously needing bifocals, but I got them off without too much hassle, and I didn't even slice the tip of my finger open with the seam ripper. I'll call it a win.


My sister also picked up a little  babydoll-type blouse that fit Scooter sort of funky. The bottom of the blouse wasn't really flared much. It had a bit of a crisscrossed halter look at the top and tied behind the back with little off the shoulder sleeves that drove Scooter crazy. So I took it apart. I took the halter and ties off, added some elastic to the back of it, and I made it into a little skirt. Scooter will wear it with a pair of leggings underneath, and she's thrilled to have yet another skirt to choose from when getting dressed.


I have a couple more skirts I have to make some adjustments to today, and I've got to do a little mending, but the sewing machine won't be on the table by the time evening hits. It will be put away downstairs in it's semi-permanent place once again. Actually, I had at least intended to get it put away when I started writing this post a couple of days ago, but I didn't finish my mending like I thought I would. If I don't get it wrapped up tomorrow, I will get it back downstairs. At least the sewing machine is put in its case, isn't taking up table space, and is waiting patiently for me to decide what to do with it. 


I had to go downstairs last night to look for the elastic for the skirts and to grab some thread. When I was looking for the elastic, I found 6 bobbins for my sewing machine that I hadn't seen in years. I was so excited! This will make my life so much easier! It's been rough working with only 1 or 2 bobbins over the years. They've already been put in my sewing box, so I'll know where they are the next time I use my sewing machine. 


When I was downstairs looking for stuff in my craft area, I so wanted to just start sorting things again. It's the first I've felt like that in quite awhile. I just wanted to get lost in sorting for a few hours, but the  boxes are going to have to wait. I need to make sure that I have as much done as I can to be ready for the guardian ad litem's visit to the house. She's not going to care how much I need to sort in the craft room. The laundry is a much bigger priority, and the 3 loads I got done yesterday barely dented the pile.


The pile looks comfy enough to jump in, though. Sort of like a leaf pile without all the dust and scritchy scratchy things. 


Maybe I'll just pretend it's a bed and take a nap. 

2 comments:

  1. You sound like such a talented seamstress . Hope the guardian visit goes well, I am,sure it should you have raised your daughters with love and responsible care all along , nothing they can say or see will change that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you in the fact that you know how to take things apart and sew them up like new again.
    For me...I think it's too late. My Singer purchase of at least three years back just takes up SPACE. sighhhhhhhhhhhh

    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)