Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Thank you, Mr Body Temperature Regulator Guy.

Almost 20 years ago, I realized that every evening I get cold. Really cold. It feels like my body just shuts down, and when I get in that shut down mode, I freeze. When I sit down in the evening to relax, I absolutely have to have a blanket with me. I can never seem to walk around in just socks, because my feet get too cold, so I have to either have slippers or socks and shoes. It's maddening, because I'd love to walk around barefoot from time to time, but alas. It isn't to be.


Almost 4 years ago, I was diagnosed as having hypothyroidism. Even though my numbers were technically still within the normal range, I had many of the symptoms of having a sluggish thyroid (one of the main symptoms is one's body loses the ability to regulate it's temperature effectively), so the doctor started me on meds. The medicine has helped with many of the symptoms, but I still get cold every evening.


You know those microfiber blankets that are super soft and super warm? I sleep under 3 of those plus a sheet and a quilt year round. Well, except during winter months when we use the comforter instead of the quilt. I maybe wouldn't need quite so many blankets during the summer, if I didn't sleep directly under the window air conditioner, but I'd still need twice as many as Hubster. It's just a fact of life for me at this point. 


I can always tell when I'm getting sick, when 3 blankets, the sheet and the quilt or comforter aren't enough to keep me warm. Besides my typical long-sleeved shirt to sleep in, I often need a hooded sweatshirt as well. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often, but there are times every few months when I have to heap even more bedding on the bed in order to sleep. Granted, I usually wake up sore from the weight of all the blankets, and I'm usually drenched in sweat from the fever breaking as well as the occasional hot flash, but at least I'm finally able to get warmed through and through. 


So imagine my surprise a couple of nights ago when I realized that I didn't need a blanket when I sat down to relax before going to bed. Not only didn't I need a blanket, I didn't even need my slippers, and even the long-sleeved shirt was too much. I should have known something was up. I wish I could say that somehow, somewhere along the line, my thyroid suddenly started doing it's job and regulated my body temperature like it was supposed to, but no. (Remind me not to tip Mr Body Temperature Regulator Guy. He's doing a lousy job and deserves nothing!)

I ended up coming down with the bug Scooter brought home from school. I have been so tired. It's not like I'm tired from working hard. I haven't had the energy to do anything for a couple of days, and I've just felt punky overall. Sort of fluish. There was something going on with my throat. It wasn't sore as much as it felt like it was swollen, and I couldn't even stand to wear a super comfortable, super stretched out crew neck t-shirt. It was just felt too tight, even though it was several inches away from my throat. 


The good news is that Scooter seems to finally be over it, except for the canker sore inside her lip. I woke up today with more energy, and I woke up cold. I think it means I'm past the worst of this, too, in spite of my throat still feeling off. I'm hoping to get some paperwork sorted today and work on the laundry a bit. I've got to get something done. 


I need to get back in the dehoarding mode. 


And how!

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! I'd like to say, "Hope you're feeling better." But then that means you will have to go back to feeling cold. From one Hoarder to another......um....just..feel, I guess. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Being sick just stinks. Period. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and I wish you good luck with getting back to de-hoarding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MC, thanks. :) I feel. I feel!

    Crystal, it really does stink, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)