Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Where do you weigh in?

I know that I always wondered how bad a hoarding problem I had. I mean, I knew I had a problem, and I knew it would just continue to grow, had I not realized I had a problem with hoarding. But I still wondered exactly how I stacked up. How bad off am I?

The International Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Foundation has tests you can take to determine whether or not you have a hoarding problem. You can find them here, if you're interested in checking into it.

I tend to be a pretty visual person, so the thing that spoke the loudest to me was the Clutter Image Rating. Just scroll down a bit, and you'll find it.

The thing I found interesting was that there wasn't an image 6. Can't tell I have OCD, can you? Ever since I visited the site the first time, I have been thinking about whether or not they purposely left that picture out, or if it was a simple human mistake, and the pictures were numbered incorrectly. I go back and forth between wondering that and wondering, if it's a test. You know. To see, if people pick up on it, and then how many of them obsess over it.

Regardless of my warped thoughts on the whole #6 picture, it gives a really good visual idea of where a person's hoarding might fall on the scale. 

5 comments:

  1. Looks like I am somewhere in the middle. I can make excuses, blaming my husband but I won't. I do not have dirty diapers, animal waste, gross or old food or dishes. Put piles of stuff and nowhere to put it. Again I blame my husband while acknowledging my part in it. I have the pathways. I know, one thing at a time. I don't have any problem getting rid of things so because of that, my therapist said I am not a hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, way isn't there a 6?

    Currently, various rooms in my house run from a 1 1/2 to a 3. My bedroom, which is the 3, recently teetered toward a 4, but I have made some progress.

    In years past, I have been as bad as a 7 to 8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. didn't look at as I am having computer trouble. just wanted to say your insight and self awareness is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, that my house with kids home is most likely a one on the clutter scale. Without the kids home, it's a 0. Which is the other side of the coin, right?

    I can't tell you how much I commend your wanting to change this for yourself. My Aunt is currently getting dressed outside her house, in 0 to 15 degree weather, because there isn't any room inside. The town assessors are coming to see the house for taxes... she's avoiding them, but at some point the landlord will have to let them in. At that point, she'll be evicted. I hope in that moment, she can find it in herself to change as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Middle Child, Do you think you're a hoarder? I'm just curious.

    Anonymous, Good job on getting to the point you're at now! It is a lot of work, but it's so worth it, isn't it?

    Thank you, Fern. :)

    Julianna, I think you're right. I think that it's the other side of the same coin. What's funny, is that I used to be like that. I just couldn't keep up with my own standards.

    I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. Hopefully, she will be able to recognize she needs help and seeks it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)