Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Yeah. That's the ticket.

When I woke up this morning, I called my doctor's office to see, if they knew of a different surgeon for me to see, or if there was any way she could do the appendectomy. I got a call back from my doctor's nurse. She said my doctor wouldn't be back in until Monday, and she wasn't sure what other surgeon to refer me to, so I just told her what happened and that I wouldn't be having the appendectomy. She asked, if I had talked to the surgeon's office yet, and I told her that I was planning on calling them as soon as I hung up and thanked her for her help and got off the phone.

When I called the surgeon's office, I told the woman who answered the phone that I needed to cancel the appendectomy. She asked me why, so I told her what the doctor did, and that I wasn't
comfortable having him do the surgery, where he filled the consent form out for me and didn't give me the choice about having the student in the room. Then, I asked her to please cancel the post-op appointment for me, since I'm obviously not going to be coming in for it, since I'm not having the appendectomy.

What she did next blew me away. I almost laughed, because she sounded so haughty, but I just shook my head. In a very irritated and gruff voice, she said, "Well. I'm going to have to tell Dr. Soandso about this!" It was like she was tattling to the principal or something. Like she wanted to get me in trouble. I told her not to worry about it. That I'd already called my doctor's office and told them. She didn't have much to say after that. I think I deflated her balloon of indignation.

But the thing that blows me away is this: If I felt the surgeon was being too pushy and trying to be intimidating, did she really think that talking to me like that was going to make me change my mind and say, "Oh! You know, I made a mistake! I really do want the jerk to do my surgery after all!"

Yeah. That's the ticket.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you listened to yourself. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow your instincts! This guy sounds like an overinflated jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. His nurse sounds just as overinflated as the doc! I'm glad you followed through with your instincts!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)