Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I want a do over!

In the surgical waiting room at the hospital. 


Hopper went to 'work' today with her day program. They went to a fun tumbling gym that has the gigantic trampolines at ground level. She was having fun jumping when she landed wrong and her leg buckled. She broke her femur. Thankfully, they hadn't eaten yet, and she hadn't eaten or had anything to drink since before she left the house this morning, or I think surgery would have been delayed even more. 


They'll be putting a rod down the center of her femur and then putting the rest of the femur in place and pushing the rod even further in. It will then be screwed in place, so it can't spin around inside the bone, and it will be able to heal. 


She's done amazingly well all things considered. Her anxiety swells from time to time, but they have given her plenty of pain medicine and something for anxiety, so hopefully she'll do okay when she wakes up. It's been a long day for the poor little thing. She fought the medicines and didn't fall asleep at all, even though she's beyond exhausted from the pain and anxiety.


She'll be in the hospital for a couple of days before we can take her home. We have no idea how we're going to pull it off, or even if we can, but she needs to learn how to either use crutches or a walker when she gets home. She's not going to be able to put weight on it for awhile, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Shockingly, she won't need any sort of brace or cast to help stabilize it. That sorta blows us away, but we trust the doctors know what they're doing.


Thankfully, Hubster brought my netbook up to the hospital for me to use, so I could have something to do. So here we sit and wait. He reading a book. Me playing on the web.


The cutest thing that happened today? Hubster asked Hopper how she liked the ride in the ambulance. She got very animated and said, "Ambulance is Good!" 

The poor little thing. I'm glad she can see the adventure in the day.

7 comments:

  1. sending good thoughts.. poor kid. hope things go smoothly with her recovery.
    ((hugs)) to all of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even imagine. :(

    At least the ambulance was fun.

    Hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry! I saw your post on FB. :(
    Sending good thoughts your way! Hugs to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OW OW OW!!! I hope it goes smoothly and she is able to recover quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that Hopper was hurt! I hope she heals quickly and takes to using crutches or a walker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! the poor darling!!! Healing thoughts dfor a speedy recovery (or as sppedy as it can be under the circumstances )that isa a bad break

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)