Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Baby steps.

I'm exhausted physically. I didn't do much, but with my back injury, I'm in need of my heating pad from the little I did do. The outdoor Christmas decorations are in and mostly put away. I have a little rearranging to do on them tomorrow, when my back doesn't hurt as much, or we won't have room in the storage closet for the Christmas tree. I'll work on getting the tree down this week. We'll see how it goes. It's frustrating to me that so much is dependent upon what I'm able to do physically. In time. Right?

Also got the gigantic cupboards outside. Actually, my husband and daughter did, but I did my best to help. They so wanted to take a sledge hammer to them, because they're so incredibly heavy, but they didn't. They're professional cabinets from a business of some sort that have a pretty laminate around the outside. I'm sure someone will put them to good use, but it won't be us!!

I have an amazing husband and daughter for which I'm eternally grateful! I will be making a couple of calls to get rid of them. If the person who was slightly interested in them is interested still, then I won't have to make the second call. If I make the second call, it will be to a thrift store to come pick them up to use or sell. I just want them gone! One way or another, they'll be gone by Friday. Earlier, if I have any say in it!

It may not seem like a lot to have accomplished, but I feel good about it. It's progress, and as long as I'm making a forward progression, I will be successful in this!

My husband and daughter are very supportive. My husband even asked whether or not counseling for all of us would be beneficial, so we can get this under control and keep it there. I think it will help. I'm not sure when we'll be going in, but it will happen.

We want to love the life we live. :)

2 comments:

  1. i have to giggle because it sounds like you had to make a couple of calls to get rid of your husband and daughter. lol!

    less than three you anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)