Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The big Five O.

A few weeks ago, Hubster turned 50. With the hospitalization and the extra costs associated with Hopper breaking her leg, we haven't had much extra money to celebrate his big birthday in a big fashion. And although I could have thrown him a small party, he really can't stand parties. Guess that worked out well, but it left me in a bit of a quandary.  I wasn't quite sure what to do to make him feel really celebrated. After all, 50 is big. It's worth celebrating.


My sister mentioned to me that she'd thrown a big party for her husband when he turned 30 and then again when he turned 40, but they didn't really have the money when he turned 50, so she had to get creative. She said that for 50 days in a row, beginning with his birthday, she gave him something to remind him that he was special to her and she hoped he had a good birthday. 


A 50 day long birthday!


What an awesome idea! 


So I took it and ran with it, and it's really been fun!


Not everything has cost an arm and a leg, which is really good, since I only have 2 arms and 2 legs, and that would only get me through 4 days! But I digress...


A few of the gifts I've given:


A strawberry rhubarb pie. His favorite. He's the only one in the family who likes them, so it worked out perfectly. 


Some of his favorite candies that he hasn't seen since he was a kid. I found both Black Cows and Slo Pokes for him, so that brought back some fun memories for him.


I made his favorite sandwiches for lunch one day. Tuna salad with celery and apple chunks. They really are pretty good, but I really don't make them that often, so they were a treat.


Most things have just been little things to show I've been thinking about him. I've got a couple of things tucked away to give him that he's been wanting for awhile, but he'll get them a week or two apart with little things in between. 


But there's 1 thing in particular he's really enjoyed, and it's lasted him awhile...


You know those yummy caramels called Riesen? I bought a big bag, counted 50 out, and attached a blank business card to each and wrote a different 'Riesen' I loved him on each card. He's not only enjoyed eating one of his favorite candies, but he's really enjoyed reading how much he's adored. 


I hope Hubster enjoys the next few weeks of his 50th birthday as much I've enjoyed coming up with different ideas to celebrate him ...


Er. As much as I've enjoyed him ...


Um. That didn't come out quite right ... After all, this is a PG rated blog!


Maybe I'd better stop while I'm still ahead...


Happy 50th Birthday, Hubster! I love you!!


Whoosh!

9 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I'm sure he feels very loved and special.

    But, 50 days in a row of, umm, Ahem. ;) Now that IS special! heehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea. So thoughtful and not too pricey (I too only have two arms and two legs). Hopefully I will remember this when my hubby turns 50 in a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it awesome to have someone as wonderful as you do? I know, I have a Mr. Awesome of my own. I think it's really sweet of you to think of things to make him happy. 'Cause that's really the meaningful stuff... and the thing that memories are built with.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such an unbelievably sweet idea! I'm sure Hubster is enjoying his 50 days. Tell him I wish him a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! My sister is turning 60 in 11-1/2 months, and I want to do something special for her, too. Although it might be 6 decade celebrations.

    It's very good to let our loved ones know how much we love and appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband doesn't like parties either. I LOVE this idea!! You can be so creative and it is just so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, that sounds like a fab idea... It is soon to be my 34th - I am going to send your post to all my friends and hope they take up the idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Portia-he does indeed! ;O)

    Jojesek-Might not be a bad idea to start thinking of ideas for the 50 days in a row right now! It's harder to come up with them spur of the moment than you'd think! Maybe by the time he turns 50, you'll have a really good idea of what to do for each day. :)

    He said "Thanks!", Fern. :)

    Ami, it IS wonderful! :)

    Crystal, he is, and I did. He said, "Thanks!" :)

    Elaine, I think that's a great idea, too! Have fun planning! And you're right. It's good to let them know. :)

    You'll have to write about what you do, Kelley! Don't forget...I got the idea from my sister. It wasn't all my idea. :)

    And ED...LOL! Hope you have a great 34th! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)