Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

:::sigh:::

It was the wrong receipt.

Let me back up a bit...

Hubby and I wedged the shower surround into the car only to realize that he wouldn't be able to wedge himself between the seat and the steering wheel. That doesn't even take into account that he had no room for his feet. So we opened the back end of the station wagon that doesn't seem much bigger than a Mini Cooper, and pulled the box back out about 6 inches. He pulled the seats back to where he'd have room to crawl in the front seat to drive and tied the back end of the car shut with twine.

He proceeded to the hardware store where we bought the surround while I stayed home with the girls. Not that there would have been any room for us anyway. After lugging the shower surround into Home Depot and waiting in line at the returns, everything looked great. They took the receipt, then scanned the box. And wouldn't you know it, but it wasn't the right receipt. The shower thing listed on the receipt was a shower door we bought close to the same time. And while the shower door was still in the system, and we could get $149 plus tax out of it, if we wanted to return it we could. In fact, it's still sits uninstalled behind our bedroom door, but we actually are going to get it installed eventually. But the shower surround itself was no longer in the system, so even if we found the receipt we cannot return it to HD. :::sigh:::

So hubby brought it back home, stuck it in the garage, and went back out to run the other couple of errands that he'd planned on running after he'd returned the surround. Before he left, I took pictures of the picture on the box and stuck it up on Craigslist for sale after researching anything that was even close to what we had for comparison.

Someone has already emailed about it asking that we call her in the morning. We will. We're thrilled that someone is already interested. I'm hoping to be doing another Woot Woot Dance tomorrow or at least within the next week or two. I am glad I listed it immediately instead of putting it off. I have a tendency to procrastinate when I have a lot on my mind.

Looking around the study today (the room I've been working in most often since I started de-hoarding), and I realized I've gotten rid of at least half of what was in here. I'm very pleased with that. I will do what I can to finish it as quickly as possible, but we still have to finish the basement and unload the storage pod on the driveway. It may take awhile.

If I can at least finish up what's currently in here before unloading the pod, we'll be able to neatly stack the boxes of paperwork that will be coming in. Plus the filing cabinet will be neat and ready to receive those papers that I feel necessary to keep. That will make sorting the paperwork that's in the pod and in the garage ever so much quicker and easier. And I've learned my lesson.

I'll be wearing my mask.


4 comments:

  1. too bad about the shower surround, here's hoping it sells quickly

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad!! Good luck selling it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. I can't believe it was the wrong receipt! I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you great success selling the shower. I should be going through some of my piles of files. Instead, I sit here and read blogs. I can't resist!

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)