Compulsive hoarding is a mental disorder that is just beginning to be understood. As a hoarder, I have acquired things over the years with a specific purpose in mind at the time of the acquisition, used some of those items for their intended purposes, forgotten the goal for different objects, but now that I find that they have outlived their purpose in my life I am struggling to rid myself of those same things.

You can read the start of my journey here.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

It rhymes with moon.

We started working on Hopper's room last week. So we've been working on getting it cleaned out for going on two weeks. We are for the most part finished. I do have to hang some things, caulk around part of the baseboards some more and clean off her desk, but overall it's done. It's such a relief.

Seven years ago or so, we bought some peel and stick linoleum tiles for the floor in Hopper's room. At the time, it was Bugster's room. And I worked as hard as I could to get the tile all down while Bugster was on a missions trip to Mexico, but I never quite got it finished. At the time, she said she didn't want me to finish it, because she didn't want to wait to move everything back in and enjoy her room, so it's sat unfinished all these years.

This time, I decided to finish it once and for all. I cut the last small piece of tile last night and put it in place. Before placing that last piece of tile, I'd replaced about a dozen full tiles that had been gouged or ripped up. Putting the new tiles down wasn't any big thing, but it took some elbow grease and way too much time to get the old ones up, but it was worth it. The floor looks so much better now.

I got the baseboards installed and caulked in the last few days, too. They look great, although I do have to go over some of the caulking. The floor in the basement is cement, and it's anything but level, so parts of the baseboards sat as much as a quarter inch off the floor while other parts of the baseboards were flush with the floor. Caulking tends to shrink a bit as it dries, so I need to go over the parts where it's obvious that it needs a bit more. I'll make sure to put some touch up paint on any nail holes I missed the first go round, too.

Mom helped me sort the stuff that was piled in the bedroom when the basement flooded almost 2 years ago. There was a lot that went in the trash or the donation box. It is so nice to have it all out of there. Mom also helped by washing the windows and the bedskirt and curtains for the room. Then this morning, she scrubbed the floor for me. I cannot express what a huge help Mom has been over the last couple of months while she's been here. We have accomplished so much with her help that I'd still be working on alone, if she weren't here!

We picked up some new mattresses for Hopper's bed a week or so ago knowing we'd be getting her back in her bedroom soon. We had a pop up trundle bed under her bed, but we didn't have a mattress on it yet. We just hadn't gotten to that point before the basement flooded. So now Hopper's bed has it's new mattress on it, and her trundle is in use as I type this. Mom is Hopper's sleepover guest tonight, (her first ever), and they were both excited about it. 

Once again, I'm so very thankful for Mom being here. Having Gramma sleep in her bedroom the first night she's slept alone in almost 2 years has proved invaluable. Hopper was freaking out about sleeping down there again and had a bit of a meltdown. We're hoping the anxiety she's suffered over the thought of sleeping in her own room again will be a thing of the past now that she's spent her first night in there.


Tomorrow, we'll work on getting the mattress on Scooter's trundle bed and take down the part of the bunk bed Hopper's been using the last couple of years and put it in the garage with the other half. Her room is going to look so much bigger with only one bed in there! Gramma will be Scooter's first ever sleepover guest tomorrow night. They're both looking forward to it.

I'll get before and after pictures posted someday. I'd say soon, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it. I've got to find the card the before pictures are on and take after pics. I don't want to take the time while Mom's here. I'm enjoying having her around way too much and don't want to miss out on any time with her.


I'll be back soon, though. 


It just depends on what your definition of 'soon' is.





3 comments:

  1. Sounds like busy days , your mom sounds like a wonderful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see photos!
    Sounds like you are chugging along quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun for your girls to have sleepover guests in their own rooms! Your mom sounds like a wonderful person.

    I just can't get over how much work you've done! You really impress and inspire me. I have been going through my things and donating or tossing what I don't need any more. I moved 3 times in 3 years, so there isn't as much stuff as there once was, but I'm still finding things to get rid of.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Closet. Feel free to take off your coat, hang it up, if you can find the space, and sit a spell. I just love your visits. :)